Physical activity plays an essential role to the physical and mental well being of today’s youth.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines physical activity as: “…any bodily movement produced by skeletal muscles that requires energy expenditure.”
Anabolic steroids may be defined as “…drugs that have similar effects on the body as male sex hormones.” (KHP, 2013)
Precipitating factors of insufficient physical activity:
- Heart disease
- Decreased bone density
- Eating disorders
- Lack of sleep
Signs and Symptoms of insufficient physical activity:
- Becoming distracted easily
- Becoming tired more quickly
- Low self-esteem
- Feeling lonely and isolatedWeaker heart
- Altered body image
Side effects of using anabolic steroids (KHP, 2013):
- Altered shape / size of breasts & sex organs.
- Increased facial & chest hair growth.
- Deeper voice
- Period irregularities
- Altered size of breasts & sex organs.
- Erectile dysfunction
What you can do to increase your physical performance naturally?
- Combine cardiovascular activities with strength training activities (e.g. jogging and free weights).
- Maintain a healthy intake of food.
- Set realistic goals for your body and athletic performance.
- Work on a positive body image for yourself.
- Resist peer pressure by talking to others about it.
Approximately 3.2 million deaths are caused by lack of physical activity around the globe (WHO).
Click here to download the complete PDF article & Resources.